If you are planning a long-distance hike individually, you usually cannot avoid having to carry all your luggage in a hiking backpack. For long-distance hikes on La Gomera, however, there is now the option of booking individual luggage transport by taxi!
At this point, many thanks to Sigrid, who did excellent research and was the first to try it out (see Sigrid's detailed comment)!
If you plan accordingly, luggage transport by taxi is only necessary on three out of six days. Tour planning works like this:
- On the first day: travel by bus (luggage included) directly to Valle Gran Rey. There you will stay 2 nights in a row.
- From Valle Gran Rey, stage 1 is either hiked normally or backwards/uphill (bus journey with line 1, see here)
- Stage 2 follows the next day. Return by bus to Valle Gran Rey.
- The trip to the starting point of stage 3 is by taxi, which then takes the luggage to Vallehermoso.
- On stages 4 and 5, the luggage will be transported by taxi.
- Finally, two nights in San Sebastián are necessary (after stage 6 return by bus).
Hauling your own luggage isn't for everyone
Book luggage transport by taxi
Based on Sigrid's research and experience, we recommend the "Goyo" taxi company, which accepts luggage transport orders via email. With "Goyo" I voted the following points:
- Taxi Driver: José Gregorio Martín Barroso (nickname "Goyo"), Email: email@example.com, Mobile: +34-690032362. Since Goyo only speaks a few words of English, it makes sense to translate e-mails using "Google Translate" (Link: translate.google.com).
- Luggage transport is offered for the following sections: Valle Gran Rey - Vallehermoso - Hermigua - San Sebastián (3 stages).
- Price: a flat rate of €115 for 1-4 people for all three stages. Payment is made in cash on the first ride.
- Goyo's taxi company collaborates with other taxi drivers on La Gomera (especially in Valle Gran Rey) if necessary.
- The luggage transport takes place in the morning (in most accommodations the reception is manned throughout the morning).
- Baggage should be labeled with a name tag.
- Booking requests should be sent by email at least 10 days in advance. To reduce the coordination effort, the following template can be used:
Note: We are not a travel agency and we are not an intermediary for taxi services. However, we are pleased to be able to make a small contribution to local economic development with the above information.
And of course we are looking forward to feedback and reports on luggage transport on La Gomera!